[Sca-cooks] calling all geeks- I'm desperate!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon May 12 03:56:07 PDT 2003

Ok, I'm working on a book. Have the files saved on a disk. Today it was
acting strange, so I started moving things off the disk, just to be safe.
All but one file moved fine. Except one. Naturally the the most imporant
one. Some 20 thousand words. The othe rfiles I opened and copied. This one
file it makes clicking noises and then gives me the box with the gray
'cancel' and 'retry'. It says it cannot read the disk. Well it reads the
other files on the disk, so? And sometimes it tells me the file is already
in use or is read-only. It will not open the file. It will not copy the
file. It will not export the file.

I've combed the hard drive looking for copies, and the last one is several
drafts old. I looked to see if I could find timed backups- I know they have
to be there somewhere. Nope.

Can someone tell me how to open the file or something- please? I'm losing
months of work and I just want to fold up and whimper...

'Lainie