[Sca-cooks] 16th c German Recipes Help

Cera Chonaill cera_chonaill at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 11:01:01 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I've been asked to do a feast in June (my first in the SCA for someone else
- face grinning from end to end). My present research is in Irish foods &
recipes but the person who hired me has a more German persona, thus I would
like to cook a remove in period German. This won't be such a stretch for me
since that's pretty much what I grew up with. I will be cooking on an open
fire during a camp event.

I’m already thinking about Krautfuter stew since I can document the
ingredients in period and I have a period redacted recipe for apple torte
(same as plum torte). Plus, on the suggestion of the hirer, fire roasted
beef on a spit.

Any suggestions for recipes I could consider (please remember we're camping
with limited tools). The recipes can be in German since I can read the
language. One suggestion has been to include strawberries as they are in
season at the time. Unfortunately, suggesting certain books to look at will
not work this time, feast is in June, my small library's interlibrary loan
takes forever (at times months) and I still have to test everything I
consider making first.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you,

Cera