[Sca-cooks] cream cheese and other cultured milk products

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat May 17 23:27:32 PDT 2003

> I have read that cream cheese as in the store is not in our time line.
If you mean the "Philadelphia Cream Cheese", then yes you are correct.
I remember a discussion here about that product. Also discussions on
how the sour cream here is different that in Russia. In part is because
of the cultures used and in part the processing.

> I have found a recipe that makes something very similar.
>
> three cups of whipping cream
> 2 tablespoons buttermilk
Even the buttermilk you get today may produced differently than say a
hundred years ago.
You might be interested in some of the comments and suggestions in this
file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
dairy-prod-msg    (80K) 10/ 4/01    Dairy products. milk, butter,
curds, cream.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas