[Sca-cooks] Recipe for Olwen and Countess Alys

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 21 12:18:00 PDT 2003

I came across the following recipe in April, but I forgot to
post it to the list then. When reading it I was reminded that
Olwen was looking for recipes that combined sugarpaste
and marzipan. This one combines those ingredients and
produces something that can be shaped. The question
would be --can we find one that leaves out the baking?

To make several pretty fancies.

TAke sweet Almonds blanched and beaten
with Rosewater; mix them with fine sugar,
the whites of Eggs, and Gum dragon
steeped in Rosewater, and so make them into
what shape you please, and bake them. page 94.

The Cook's Guide: or, Rare receipts for cookery by
Hannah Wolley or Woolley. 1664.
Wing number W3276

Johnnae llyn Lewis  Johnna Holloway