Feast steward at the crossroads was Re: [SCA-cooks] Pulled su gar

Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au
Thu May 22 20:41:56 PDT 2003

I would say that in general within Lochac, those who are students/poverty stricken can usually come to an arrangement with the event steward to get a discount in return for some work.

I have been running events for 20 years, and it is surprisingly rare to have anyone ask for poverty rates, but I am pretty much always open to negotiation.  For Lochac's first Coronation feast, I actually budgeted to allow every College across the Kingdom to send 5 people each to the event for half price, in return for a set section of work; setup, cleanup or serving. Only 4 people TOTAL took advantage of this offer.

For larger events, the proportion of food costs to hall hire costs is now heading rapidly in the opposite direction to days of old.  As our mundane society becomes more and more litigious the increasing insurance costs for venues are reflected in increasing costs, with many large halls costing over $1000 per day.

Maîtresse Kiriel