[Sca-cooks] Re: [sca-ae-cooks] Medieval Food

Katja katjaorlova at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 13:54:06 PDT 2003

Hmm. Now, this is weird... The site says that forks were not used and spoons were rare. It's true that the English lagged at least a hundred behind the Italians in the use of the fork, for the dinner table. (See The History of the Fork, C. Anne Wilson's Food in Britain, Peter Brears' All The King's Cooks for documetation on this.) However, I know I've seen instances of spoons and forks (flesh hooks) being used in kitchens in England before the 13th Century. I'm specifically thinking of an image from the Lutrell Psalter... oh, wait, that's 14th Century, right? Anyway, I think this website might be a little wrong on this. It's seems documentable that the English didn't take to the fork, in the dining hall, until the mid-Renaissance, but I've seen continual support for the use of these utensils in the kitchen in the Middle Ages.  It also lists buckwheat as a spice, which seems odd, and says that food wasn't salted before being served to the table, which is really wrong if you look at virtually any recipe in Forme of Cury.  Hmm. I wonder what resources the website has used for its statements? Any idea?  I like the graphics. :) toodles, Katja

Jeanne Papanastasiou <jeanne at atasteofcreole.com> wrote:

http://www.castles-of-britain.com/castlesf.htm

Medieval Kitchens
http://www.castles-of-britain.com/castlesl.htm