[Re: [Sca-cooks] OT: Harry Potter]

Patches slpatch at mfire.com
Wed May 7 09:11:50 PDT 2003

I can see the reasoning, there are a few Brit terms that would be virtually
indecipherable to American kids (the books intended audience, remember?) not
to mention tripping the triggers of a bunch of censors! Book publishers like
to pablum-ize to ensure the widest audience possible - their primary goal is
to sell books, after all.

Personally it irritates me. It's good British literature and should be
presented as such. How different would Sherlock Holmes (my all-time
favorite!)or Monty Python be if they were purged of their "Brit-ism's'?

I've seen Americanized editions of Sir Conan Doyle's works and they were,
well, crap. Much of the period flavor and authors voice is lost, and that is a
tragedy for someone who first reads their work and thinks that is all there
is. How about if John Steinbeck's works were made British? Gives ya the
willies doesn't it?

I ordered both versions of OoP and eagerly anticipate their arrival.

Lady Catherine

sjk3 at cornell.edu wrote:
> The Brit versions use British terminology and Brit slang. The American
> version uses American slang and terms that Americans would be familiar
with.
> Phillipa
>
>> What is the difference between the GB and USA versions of Harry Potter
>> books?
>> Michel
>> Rokeclif

     I was under the impression that while this was true in the
beginning, the publishers had (or were going to) discontinued this.  I
can't quite figure out what terms to search for on Google, so I don't
know how to verify it.

Sandra

The Brigands Cache
"Purveyors of Fine Goods Acquired"