[Sca-cooks] Abridgement Re: Sherlock Holmes Was: [Re: [Sca-cooks]

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu May 8 05:54:25 PDT 2003

> Dumas has the same problem.  Most American editions abridge The Three
> Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo.  I have an unabridged edition of
> the latter from my grandmother's library, 1100+ pages of very fine print.
> Compared to the intracacies of the unabridged version, the abridged versions
> read like a plot outline of a high school paper.

In general, both abridged and unabridged versions of many books are out
there. The trick is to read the labelling. (For some reason, Louisa May
Alcott's _Little Men_ is almost always abridged to remove the "Patty Pans"
chapter, for what reason I don't know...)

To drag the topic back to something related to this list, you may find a
copy of _Gerard's Herbal_ in paperback, edited by Marcus Woodward.
Beware! This edition is _Leaves from Gerard's Herbal_ and is merely
selections from the original. The Facsimile (from a 16-something edition)
that is available from Dover Books, is large enough to be put up on bricks
and used as an end table.

Caveat Emptor!

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I'm tired. I'm tired of feeling rejected by the American people. I'm
tired of waking up in the middle of the night worrying about the war."
-- L.B. Johnson