[Sca-cooks] sharpening knives...

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 11:46:17 PDT 2003

Phlip wrote:
> You guys were asking about how to sharpen knives. Here's one guy's
> solution. The URL is so named because it gets knives scary sharp.
>
> http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM#condensed

Thanks for the article.  I've already passed it along to a couple of
woodworkers and bladesmiths...

Caveat exacutor for cooks, though.  This article describes a method for
putting a 2 degree edge on woodwoorking planes designed to shave off
translucent-thin pieces of hardwood.  I wouldn't think it would be good for
most kitchen knives, even ones made of steel that could take this kind of
edge.  I find an 18 degree bevel works just fine on my knives, and only
requires re-sharpening once every couple months (steeling at each, or nearly
each, use of course).

-Lorenz