[Sca-cooks] 16th c German Recipes Help

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 10:54:13 PDT 2003

Cera Chonaill wrote:
>I'm already thinking about Krautfuter stew since I can document the
>ingredients in period...

Documenting individual ingredients people used is not the same as
having an actual recipe they used, since in the past they didn't
always put ingredients together as people in the same region did in
the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.

If you want "period" German food, i suggest looking at historic cookbooks.

>Any suggestions for recipes I could consider (please remember we're camping
>with limited tools). The recipes can be in German since I can read the
>language.

You're in luck, as there are six 16th c. German cookbooks on line on
Thomas Gloning's web site, as well as seven from the 14th and 15th
centuries:
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kobu.htm

He also has many other books in other languages and from other times.
A real treasure.

-----

Also, i have recipes on-line i made for the German feast i cooked for
the Province of the Mists Boar Hunt in 2001:
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/2001Menu.html

I wanted to do entirely 16th c. recipes, but in some cases they were
really really vague, whereas the 14th c. recipe for something similar
was more detailed, so i used "Guter Spise".

I confess that in a couple instances i substituted English recipes,
because the German recipes i found were pretty vague, such as for the
green salad.

Ein Buch von Guter Speise, German, 14th c.
In German:
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bvgs.htm
A Partial Translation into English by Alia Atlas:
http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/buch.html

Ein Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin, German, 1553
in German:
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/sawe.htm

Marx Rumpolt, Ein Neu Kochbuch, German, 1581
This is on Thomas's web site, in numerous parts. Links to each part are on:
http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kobu.htm

MENU

FIRST COURSE
Spiced Dried Green Pea Soup - my peri-oid creation based on German,
English, and French recipes
[the German recipe called for just beer and caraway seeds, which
didn't sound too appetizing to me, so i compared it with recipes from
other places, and made this per-oid, but not period, dish.]
Chicken and Quinces - Ein Buch von Guter Speise
Rice with Cherries - Ein Buch von Guter Speise
Funges - spiced mushrooms in broth - Forme of Curye
[i used this English recipe because after translating a passel of
German mushroom recipes, i found that they basically called for
"grilling" mushrooms in butter and seasoning with salt and pepper,
and i wanted something a little zingier]

SECOND COURSE
- Brawn in Peverade - pork stewed in wine with spices - 15th c. English
- Applemoyes - apples pureed with almond milk and spices - 15th c. English
[i used this recipe because a number of German recipes just called
for cooking the fruit in honey, and that was not appealing to me]
- Root Turten - a pie of spiced turnips, parsnips, carrots - Marx Rumpolt
- Millet "pone" cooked with almond milk, eggs, bread crumbs, herbs,
saffron, butter - Ein Buch von Guter Speise
[i had intended to prepare this recipe but didn't, i forget why. The
untested recipe is on my website]
- Sallat - mixed greens and fresh herbs dressed with oil and vinegar
- Forme of Curye - there are similar, but vaguer, German recipes

THIRD COURSE
- Roast Pork legs (a Boar Hunt tradition)
- WITH SAUCES
--- Swallenberg Sauce - white wine, honey, ginger, pepper, garlic,
egg whites - Ein Buch von Guter Speise
[my redaction was based on someone's translation, which apparently
was erroneous, so it isn't quite correct. This has been discussed on
this list since]
--- Bitter Seville Orange Sauce with cinnamon, sugar, rosewater - Marx Rumpolt
--- Horseradish Sauce with ground almonds and white wine - Ein Buch
von Guter Speise
--- A Sauce for Venison or Pig - white wine, cherry syrup, Lebkuchen
(gingerbread), apples, almonds, spices, currants, raisins, vinegar -
Ein Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin, c. 1553
[i had intended to prepare this recipe but didn't, because someone
didn't pay attention to the quantities called for in the recipe for
Apple Moys and used up all the apples, however i include the recipe
on my web site]

- Beef Tongue with sauce of apples, onions, raisins, and spices - Sabina Welser
- Sweet and Savory Spinach - Marx Rumpolt
- Char de Wardons - Sweet and spicy pears puree - 15th C. English
- Lentils with herbs and bacon - Marx Rumpolt

THROUGHOUT THE MEAL
Water
Manchets

RELISHES
- Chopped Lemons & Pomegranate seeds with sugar - Marx Rumpolt, Ein
New Kochbuch, c. 1581
- Beets marinated with horseradish, red wine, cider vinegar,
coriander, caraway, anise - Marx Rumpolt
- Cucumbers fresh pickled in white vinegar, honey, anise, caraway,
pepper, saffron, mustard - Ein Buch von Guter Speise, 14th c.
- Red Cabbage marinated in red wine vinegar, honey, caraway, anise,
pepper - Ein Buch von Guter Speise
- Button Mushrooms pickled in white wine vinegar, whole peppercorns,
cloves, nutmeg, mace, bay leaves, fresh ginger - Lady Elinor
Fettiplace and Sir Kenelm Digbie

FINALE
- Boar's Head Sotiltie: 16th century fruit cake with home made
marzipan, prepared by Dorothea of Caer Myrddin and decorated by
Tristan Halsson fra Ravnborg.

Anahita