[Sca-cooks] regulations on sales of spices?

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Fri May 16 10:37:10 PDT 2003

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> Szechuan peppercorn, fagara, and sansho are all more common names in
> the U.S. than flower pepper. Long flower pepper is a term I've never
> heard before, which begs the question, are you absolutely sure you
> aren't supposed to be looking for long pepper, which is another
> critter entirely?

Am I missing something?  I thought the Japanese sansho wasn't the same thing
as fagara or sichuan peppercorn.  Similar, but not identical.

There is unfortunately a U.S. federal ban on the import of whole sichuan
peppercorns right now due to a citrus canker in Southeast Asia.  You can
import them roasted and ground, but that's mostly pointless.

-Lorenz