[Sca-cooks] cream cheese and other cultured milk products

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Sun May 18 16:54:42 PDT 2003

Well... yes, commercial buttermilk is not the same as real buttermilk,
but is a form of cultured milk. But that's why it works to make a type
of cream cheese - you're mixing those cultures with the cream to make
the cheese.  So real buttermilk, the by-product of buttermaking, won't
work for this! No cultures!

Of course, the one I'll never forget is a fellow teacher who had tried
to make butter with the children... with buttermilk, not cream... Nonfat
buttermilk, at that! Didn't work. *EG*

AEllin Olafs dotter

Anne