[Sca-cooks] CAST IRON SKILLET

Ciorstan ciorstan at attbi.com
Sun May 18 23:18:29 PDT 2003

Adamantius writes, amongst other things:

> While this is true, I think we may need to define "fried", or at
> least maybe add sauteed, pan-broiled, baked etc. I often use my
> largest cast-iron skillet for pizza, since I don't have one of those
> silly oven stone thingies, and it does a truly excellent job for that.

Pizza stone? Nobody needs a pizza stone!  I've been baking pizza for
years in a terracotta saucer from the garden area of Home Depot.  A
little oil, a little corn meal for 'mold release' and they work
mahhvelously. But I have to admit, that's a novel use for a seasoned
cast-iron skillet.

My own skillet has been in use-- well seasoned-- for about 40 years. It
was a moving-out giftie from my esteemed parents, since it's almost as
old as I am. What I would really like is a well-seasoned cast iron crepe
pan...

ciorstan