[Sca-cooks] more on the... CAST IRON SKILLET

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon May 19 11:27:49 PDT 2003

> > Well, like Adamantius, I'm not sure how much good it would do you either,
> > although I know Margali won't cook with cast iron because she gets too
> much
> > iron in her system from them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that
> you're
> > getting the right iron compounds. If it were just iron you needed, you
> could
> > swallow an occasional ball bearing, and be set for a while ;-)( I suspect
> > Avraham might be the one to ask. In the meantime, eat lots of high-iron
> > foods.
>
> Who summons the genie... oh, sorry.
>
> Your cast iron skillet will not impart any significant amount of iron to
> your food unless you cook acidic foods in it - in which case, you will
> develop off flavor compounds.
>
> Phlip provided an excellent summary of iron-rich foods. I have nothing
> further to add to that, except suggesting a pharmaceutical iron supplement.
>
> Avraham

Or move to a domicile whose water supply comes from a well that has a lot
of iron in it. Once upon a time I was proclaimed borderline anemic, after
a blood workup. A year later, after having moved to such a domicile and
using the water in cooking if not in drinking (the well water also had
sulfur in it, so it tasted extremely nasty plain), I was no longer
borderline anemic.

Margaret