[Sca-cooks] Re: dissolved pearls

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 19 21:33:52 PDT 2003

Lucrezia replied to me with:
> [doffs cook's hat, dons jeweller's hat] Sorry to disillusion you but
> this is
> indeed a myth. Pearls are made of calcium carbonate. Their structure is
> actually like that of an onion - <snip>
> The vinegar/acid actually required to 'instantly'
> dissolve a pearl would also dissolve your internal organs, and anything
> weak
> (and palatable!) enough for you to drink would take some length of time
> dissolve a pearl - say years. The Cleopatra story, entertaining though
> it is
> (it comes direct from Pliny's 'Natural History' Book 37, where he
> claimed
> the pearl Cleopatra dropped into her drink and supposedly 'dissolved'
> was
> worth 10 million sesterces - a large fortune in those days),
Well, the directions I was referring to were later than Cleopatra and
from one comment, might have been for cosmetic use rather than to be
used internally. But it does look like the pearls were disolved and
that it might not take that long. Anyone got some pearls to experiment
with? :-)

 From the file:

Stefan
--------