[Sca-cooks] Re: MEDIEVAL Near Eastern Food

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 21 16:37:43 PDT 2003

Ok--- try these books---
Consumption studies and the history of the Ottoman Empire, 1550-1922 :
an introduction / Donald Quataert. Albany : State University of New York Press,
2000
 358 p. ISBN: 0791444317 or 0791444325 (pbk.)
includes a paper on "Aspects of the Ottoman elite's food consumption : looking for
"staples," "luxuries," and "delicacies" in a changing century."

The Dervish lodge : architecture, art, and Sufism in Ottoman Turkey /
Raymond Lifchez. Berkeley : University of California Press, 1992
348 p. ISBN: 0520070607
includes a paper "Food in the life of the Tekke."

Towns and townsmen of Ottoman Anatolia :
trade, crafts, and food production in an urban setting, 1520-1650 /
Suraiya Faroqhi. Cambridge [Cambridgeshire] ; New York : Cambridge University
Press,1984
 425 p.  ISBN: 0521254477

Mnemeia Hellenikes historias.
Documents inédits relatifs à l'histoire de la Grèce au moyen âge
Konstantinos N Sathas NINE volumes done 1880-1890
in French  Paris [etc.] Maisonneuve et cie.,

This one was under Ottoman and Gastronomy.
Les bonheurs de ma cuisine juive dans la tradition sépharade :
la cuisine judéo-espagnole emportée au XVe siècle d'Espagne vers l'Empire Ottoman
traditionnelle aujourd'hui encore à Bruxelles, à Paris, à New York, à Jérusalem /
A Rivka Cohen. Aix-en-Provence : Edisud, 2000
French  238 p. :

This was just a quick search. I suspect that there are papers
because Turkey has an active food history community.
There's actual more there than one might think. I didn't even
try the Balkans.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway