[Sca-cooks] pain perdu-- desperate

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri May 23 09:30:44 PDT 2003

Well, I'm surprised that Stephan hasn't chimed in here.  There are several
recipes in the Florilegium, look for French Toast.  He has documentation
from me called "From Lost Bread To French Toast" which has several versions.
As far as which is the best to use, I can't answer that.  There are some
with eggs and some without.  There are those that have a sauce poured over,
and some that are served without sauce.  I like Golden Balls from Platina,
with the saffron-infused rosewater sprinkled on top (oh, yum).
I would count on two slices of bread per person.  Even if you have other
foods, lots of folks will take two slices, or get one and come back for
another.  Bread is cheap.
Christianna
sometimes known as the French Toast Laurel!