[Sca-cooks] Above/Below The Salt

Katheline van Weye kat_weye at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 11:30:25 PDT 2003

I am very interested in the topic of feasts above and below the salt.  How has
this worked out for everyone?  Is the complication worth it?  How do you ensure
that someone who paid for below the salt doesn't get the above the salt feast?
Do you lose a lot of people who would normally pay for the full feast when the
below the salt option is used?  What sorts of dishes do you have for the below
the salt feast?  How elaborate does the above the salt feast get?

A little background.  I've been in the SCA for a little under 3 years in the
Kingdom of Atenveldt.  The current Atenveldt isn't massively big on elaborate
feasts (lots of potlucks or non-period dishes) although at Kingdom events
(particularly the major ones like Coronation) they try to have a feast of some
sort.  I have never seen above/below the salt used here.  It is either full
feast or no feast.  There has also been a problem in the past of people eating
the full feast without having paid for the feast (paid reservations for 80 and
yet we end up feeding 120).  Atenveldt's full feast price is usually in the
$5-7 per person range so I would imagine that the below the salt price would be
on the order of $2-3 dollars if we had them here.

So with all of that said, I'm curious about above/below the salt feasts.

Yours in service,
Katheline van Weye