[Sca-cooks] Lovage and Rue

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 23:40:16 PDT 2003

What can i say? You guys and guyettes are great.

It's absolutely amazing, but it turns out that one of the people i
recruited for my cooking team has lovage growing in her garden, so it
looks like i can get it fresh. It's funny, but i didn't even think to
ask my own team - she read about it in a post i made to a local
cooking list.

And some folks on this very list, who are generous with time and
knowledge have rue, and live in my principality, have rue, although
they're about an hour away from me. But we'll work something out.

Again, amazing the resources we have in the SCA, and the good will of
folks to share.

But all the information folks have been sharing is good.

I have menus on the tables with lists of ingredients, and i know
folks with food issues, whether allergies or special diets read them.
But i may just decide not to include rue in all of those dishes on
whose list of ingredients it occurs in Apicius, and make no more than
one per course with rue, even if it would be more authentic to
include it in more dishes.

We are having a spate of pregnancies this year. While all that i know
of will have arrived by September, i don't want to cause any trouble.
I am guessing i won't be using it in quantities that can really be
harmful. However, i don't want to mislead anyone. So besides listing
it, i think it best if i make an announcement in the hall about the
rue.

Anahita