[Sca-cooks] An Evil Thought- Excercise in Intelligence

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue May 27 11:15:57 PDT 2003

>Two all-meat patties, special sauce, onion, pickle, lettuce, and tomato
>(vegetable? translator's query), on a sesame seed bun....
>

>Phlip

I know you want to go far afield (I like the "two all-beet" patties thing).
But
You could almost translate this to be not too different with a period
mindset.

2 all beef patties. - Grilled collops of beef.
Special Sauce. - I would probably use a garlic pepper sauce or a sauce
camelyne.
Lettuce - A fairly common green.
Cheese - Any number of cheeses could be added.
Pickles - Pickles were common but it's unfortunate that it doesn't say what
kind of
pickle. You could think that this were an instruction instead of an
ingredient.

So you take collops of beef, in a Special Sauce (possibly Lord's Salt), with
lettuce.

Or you could read it to say that you take collops of beef and lettuce with
pickled
onions. In fact, upon re-reading the recipe it's obvious that is what it is
saying.

Sesame Seed Bun. - Hmm..nothing really in the corpus about this. But I would
estimate
that it is Arabic in origin. I remember reading something about sesame seeds
ground
up with flour and oil and baked on a flat stone. Sounds tasty.

So, I think the final effort isn't a "sandwich" whatever that is, but the
description of a
workman's meal. Possibly Arabic in origin.

On a plate you have:

2 collops of beef, probably grilled. Topped with "Special Sauce"
documentation unknown.
Possibly named like the Sauces Royalle or Lord's Salt. Since this is
obviously Arabic in
origin I would suggest something like murri.

Basically two slices of beef grilled with murri sprinkled over.
Lettuce to ease digestion. I'd wrap it around pickled onions as
presentation.
A slice of goat's or sheep's cheese.
The "on" a sesame seed bun is curious. This could be a mistranslation. Or it
could be saying that the whole is added to the dough and baked as almost a
pizza-like substance. I've seen similar dishes with a paste of meat used
this way.

Or it could just be a mistranslation of "anon" meaning the bun was eaten
afterwards.
In this case I would make the sesame bun with a bit of honey or perhaps a
regular
flour roll filled with a honey/sesame mixture to serve as a sweet dessert.

Therefore "two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickled
onions, anon,
a sesame seed bun" is a basic workingman's meal of meat, salad, cheese and
dessert.

Why all the controversy?

Gunthar