[Sca-cooks] translating the Scappi book

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 12:53:19 PST 2003

  Vittoria commented:
> On a tangential note:  I decided that I am in fact going to tackle the
> project of ...I started a couple weeks ago
> and it's going quite a bit faster than I'd expected.  I just started at
> the beginning and am slowly making my way through...I intend to work
> translating
> some stuff out of sequence, for a school project.
>
> I would like to put the translation on the web, even as a
> work-in-progress, because I know this book isn't widely available, and
> bet enough people would be interested in using it that it would be
> worthwhile.  (I, for one, have been trying to get a copy of this book
> for a few years now and am pretty ecstatic to finally be working with
> it.)  Ideally, I will eventually have my own website, so that I can
> make
> updates and corrections as frequently as I need to, but given my
> technological ineptitude, that isn't happening anytime soon.   (Stefan,
> you mentioned a while ago that you've hosted cookbook translations in
> the Florilegium before - could Scappi have a temporary home there,
> too?)  It's not too urgent an issue since I haven't gotten to the
> recipes yet, just the introductory chapters, but I would really like to
> make the translation available in one way or another, and I'm
> interested
> in whatever possibilities exist....
Yes, the offer is still open to anyone. While I'd prefer to have a copy
permanently in the Florilegium, in part because it does take some
effort to get it there, my standard policy is that I will take updates
or removal requests at any time. And the copyright stays with the
author. So, you could send me sections as you complete them and I will
get them online and you can send revisions of what is already there as
you wish. While I can see why you might want to have it on your own
site, I don't have a problem with it being in the Florilegium as well
as elsewhere.

Another possiblity, which would take working out some security details,
would be to give you access to your own area of the Florilegium and let
you place and change the items there as you wished.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com