[Sca-cooks] dried meats

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 14:03:43 PST 2003

  Christianna commented:
> So, would anyone like to veture a guess as to what they did with
> cranberries?  I've had a sauce cooked up with them using maple syrup
> that
> was pretty good, but it doesn't strike me as the way an aboriginal
> would
> have prepared it.  I seem to recall reading about them being includedin
> Pemmican (ground jerky, fat and fruits formed into small packs for
> traveling - making stew from, etc.)
Hmm. I thought that the meat, fat and fruits were pounded together to
make Pemmican. I think starting with ground meat would completely
change the texture of the result. Besides, I'm not sure the American
Indians, like the Europeans, had a good, easy way to grind meat.

I seem to remember from pervious jerky discussions here, and elsewhere,
that you wanted lean meat. That if you used fatty meat, the dried meat
would spoil. But Pemmican seems to call for adding additional fat. So,
how can both methods be used to preserve meats?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com