[Sca-cooks] Herbed Baked Goat Cheese Salad recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 11 21:47:13 PST 2003

A while back when we were discussing goat cheese on this list, I
mentioned that there was an interesting goat cheese salad recipe in
this month's Cook's Illustrated. Olwen asked for the recipe and I
promised to type it in and send it to her. Unfortunately, this was
during my move (many things are still in boxes) and that issue of
Cook's Illustrated didn't resurface until earlier this evening. So,
here it is. I decided to post it to this list in case others were
interested.

I haven't made this yet, but I was considering doing it for the family
Thanksgiving get-together which is at our house this year. But there
could be 16 or 18 people and I was thinking this might be a bit too
much for me, along with the turkey (Probably the spice-rubbed turkey
from the same issue) and I don't know what else. I've still got to get
many boxes unpacked or stuffed somewhere out of the way. We've got to
buy at least two more bookcases. :-)

Stefan
--------------------
These are from Cook’s Illustrated   November/December 2003

Herbed Baked Goat Cheese

Makes 12 Rounds

The baked goat cheese should be served warm. Prepare the salad
components while the cheese  is in the freezer, then toss the greens
and vinaigrette while the cheese cools a bit after baking.

3 ounces white Melba toasts (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
12 ounces firm goat cheese
   Extra virgin olive oil

1. In food processor, process Melba toasts to fine, even crumbs, about
1 1/2 minutes; transfer crumbs to medium bowl and stir in pepper. Whisk
eggs and mustard in medium bowl until combined. Combine thyme and
chives in small bowl.

2. Using kitchen twine or dental floss, divide cheese into 12 evenly
sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball; roll each ball in herbs to
coat lightly. Transfer 6 pieces to egg mixture, turn each piece to
coat; transfer to Melba crumbs and turn each piece to coat, pressing
crumbs into cheese. Flatten each ball into disk about 1 1/2 inches wide
and 1 inch thick and set on baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining
six pieces cheese. Freeze cheese until firm, about 30 minutes. (Cheese
may be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen up to 1 week.) Adjust
oven rack to uppermost position; heat to 475 degrees.

3. Remove cheese from freezer and brush tops and sides evenly with
olive oil. Bake until crumbs are golden brown and cheese is slightly
soft, 7 to 9 minutes (or 9 to 12 minutes if cheese is completely
frozen). Using thin metal spatula, transfer cheese to paper towel-lined
plate and cool 3 minutes.

Salad with Herbed Baked Goat Cheese and Vinaigrette

Serves 6

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
   Ground black pepper
14 cups mixed hearty greens, washed and dried
1 recipe Herbed Baked Goat Cheese

1. Combine vinegar, mustard, shallot, and salt in small bowl. Whisking
constantly, drizzle in olive oil; season to taste with pepper.

2. Place greens in large bowl, drizzle vinaigrette over, and toss to
coat. Divide greens among individual plates; place 2 rounds goat cheese
on each salad. Serve immediately.

Salad with Apples, Walnuts, Dried Cherries and Herbed Baked Goat Cheese

Serves 6

1 cup dried cherries (5 ounces)
2 medium Granny Smith apples
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
   Ground black pepper
14 cups hearty mixed greens, washed and dried
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped coarse and toasted
1 recipe Herbed Baked Goat Cheese

1. Plump cherries in 1/2 cup hot water in small bowl, about 10 minutes;
drain. Quarter and core apples and cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices.

2. Combine vinegar, mustard, shallot, salt and sugar in a small bowl.
Whisking constantly, drizzle in oil; season to taste with pepper. Place
greens in large bowl, drizzle vinaigrette over, and toss to coat.
Divide greens among individual plates; divide cherries, apples and
walnuts among plates; and place 2 rounds goat cheese on each salad.
Serve immediately.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com