[Sca-cooks] Questions about de Nola

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Nov 16 14:04:16 PST 2003

I'm having a pleasant Sunday afternoon, reading de Nola on the
Florilegium (I'm trolling for ideas for a feast bid), and have had my
curiosity prickled by a couple of things.
1.  "Cheese of Aragon" appears relatively frequently, usually in such a
way as to indicate that it is a hard cheese, like Parmesan or
something.  Does anyone have anything more exact as to what it actually
is?
2.  A number of the sauces and pottages are strained through a woolen
cloth.  Would this more likely have been a coarse cloth, allowing small
particles of the almonds or chicken or whatever to pass through, or a
finer quality, designed to make everything puree-ish?
3.  Does anyone have an online or mail-order source for sour orange
juice? It's just *not* available up here....
Thanks in advance,
Maire