[Sca-cooks] Southern Cornbread

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 29 22:56:12 PST 2003

"EdB" commented:
> Normally, I use a similar Pyrex pan, but
> this time around, the oven decided to go on holiday early, and I
> managed to
> do it in a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove top. Aside from the
> location of
> the pot, I pretty much followed my usual steps.
I thought cornbread cooked this way needed to be baked. Or did enough
heat get conducted from the bottom, around the sides and then to the
top so that the cornbread was surrounded by heat, so that the cornbread
was baked as opposed to cooked as on a griddle? I thought when you
cooked in dutch ovens, at least over open fires, that you added hot
coals to the top to provide heat on all sides. Perhaps cornbread
doesn't need as high a heat as other items such as pies or roasts?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com