[Sca-cooks] Pre-Columbian Foods

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 3 06:32:45 PST 2003

>> > Is there a type of rabbit native to the New World?
>>
>> The cotton tail so well known in Southern folk lore ("Brier Rabbit")
>I thought Brier Rabbit was English. Or maybe I'm thinking of a
>different British rabbit tale.
>> and the jack rabbit of the southwest as well as the snowshoe hare of
>> the north
>> all spring to mind.
>Yes, but were all of these native to the Americas? Or were they
>imported from Europe.

The term "cottontail" is used for a number of different but related
critters.  Oryctolagus cuniculus is the European (and African) rabbit which
got spread around the world.  The members of genus Sylvilagus are the New
World cottontails.

Jack rabbits are a number of related New World hares in genus Lepus.  The
snowshoe rabbit or hare is a New World hare, Lepus americanus.

>> I seem to recall that hares, rabbits and conies while
>> related are distinctly different.  Any rabbit/rodentologists on the
>> list?
>Well, the differences between these have been discussed on this list
>previously. I just don't remember American rabbits being discussed.
>Those interested might take a look at this file:
>
>Stefan

Hares are born with fur and open eyes.  Rabbits are born hairless with
closed eyes.  Conies are European rabbits, also pikas and hyraxes.

Bear