[Sca-cooks] Medieval Bear Recipes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Nov 4 06:55:11 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I had a gentleman write me and ask:
>
> Do you have any medeval recipes using bear? I've managed to come into
> possession of a bear's leg.
>
> I'm unable to get to my books this week - way too busy with other
commitments
> in the evening.  I will be glad to pass anything along.
>
> I was sure I saw a recipe for bear once in one of the German cookbooks.  I
> don't think there are any in the English ones.

I'll certainly be happy to see any that people come up with, but I feel I
must add a caution:

Whatever else you do with the meat, cook it thoroughly, and pass the word
along. Bears, being omnivorous ARE quite subject to trichinosis, and they
don't have the advantage of the breeding and treatment programs commercial
hog farms have been using to eliminate the disease from our pork stocks.

I'm not panicking about a possible, minor hazard, like too many of us tend
to do in food matters, I describing a known hazard to those of us who hunt
and use game meat. Please, if you don't believe me, do your own research.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS, who just did the (very boring) program to get a CT hunting license-
and passed with a 97.

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,