[Sca-cooks] pre-Columbian foods

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Tue Nov 4 19:01:30 PST 2003

[slipping on my anthropological pith helmet...]

Martin G. Diehl wrote:

>What if it was a 5,000 to 6,000 year trip to the the Orkneys
>at a time when the neolithic standing stone monuments were
>being erected?
>
>I'd like to know how much of the daylight hours were
>needed for food production in those distant times.

Generally, anthropolical studies of hunter-gather cultures show that it
takes about 20 hours of labour per adult per week to provide for the
nessessary needs, including clothing and shelter. Pastoral and agarian
cultures become increasingly more labour intensive.

Now it might be argued that subsistance farming in someplace like the
Orkneys would take more time, but it could just as easily be argued that
at this time, the farming was being used as a supplement to the fishing.
The farming may have been initially a heavily managed 'gathering' rather
than trust to the weather on a small place like an island.

Assuming that the farming and fishing don't take up all your available
daylight hours, what is there really to do besides repair the stone
walls to your house, or your tools? I really don't get the sense that a
cooperative event like building a stone monument over time might
seriously impact subsistance. If you consider that the monument might
have some religious purpose, with the intent of gaining better weather
and better harvests/fishing, then the time spent in building it _is_
time spent in subsistence activities. And given the limited resources
and 'another place to go', any large scale activity that reinforces
community cooperation helps out in the long run. (The !Kung, who pretty
much have most of the Kalahari dessert to wander off into, solve social
conflicts and low harvest by breaking off into smaller groups that
wander off in different directions: a little harder to do on an island.)

The Native Americans of the Great Plains developed a rich decorative
arts, given the time spent in camp not doing subsistance work. The
Northern Plains had more bead and quill work, requiring more time, since
they had more free time during the winter months, with the Southern
Plains had more bright colours, since they were on the move more often
and had less time for detail work. Admittedly, these were not
subsistance farmers also building stone monuments.

>As an example,
>
>    "It's believed to have taken as many as 200,000
>    [man] hours to build both the Brodgar ring and
>    the Standing Stones of Stenness, another nearby
>    ring of stones."
>
>>From http://www.herald.ns.ca/stories/2002/09/14/f160.raw.html
>
>If those 200,000 man hours came out of the food economy
>... how were those man hours replaced?

Mathwise, if would take 325 men (or just adults) about two years to
contribute 200k 'man' hours if they just provided an hour a day, six
days a week.

If the workers only provided four hours a week (a half day once a week),
it would take a 1000 workers one year, 500 worker for two years, 250
workers for four years, etc.

I don't see 200,000 working hours as that big a dent in a susbsistance
economy, unless one assumes it happened all at one. I doubt Brodgar and
Stenness were built all at once in the same year. Given their
appearance, each stone might represent a single event (special occasion)
or an annual project. The work could be spread over a hundred year
period, and at 6000 years ago, it's not going to be easy to detirmine
that from the record.

The modern US 40-hour 'work week' is 2080 hours a year. Meaning it would
take 100 of us working full time just under a year to do the job.

Something I've noted over time is modern Western world humans tend to
grossly underestimate the skill, physical and mental abilites, and
mental ingenuity of 'primative' societies. One of my more or less
humourous memories is camping with a bunch of university archaeology
students who are at a loss if they don't have the right modern tool. Or
wander around camp for ten minutes looking for the ax/hatchet to pound
in a stake that I hammered in ten seconds later with a river cobble I
found five feet away. These are the same people who are studying and
trying to recreate a lifestyle with less tools than they currently have.

Now, my ending moral with food context is that the medieval cook, unless
they are attempting to do their master proud by impressing sophisticated
guests, are going to find and adapt the most simple and efficient way of
cooking _anything_.  Efficient as in less work and using the most of the
resources at hand. One example might be that boiling a fowl doesn't
require quite the tending and rotating that roasting over a fire might
(again, that feast exception), and is easier to debone than carving.
Plus you have the begining of a stock or sauce already in the pot.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)