[Sca-cooks] Favorite Norse/Viking camping event recipes

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Mon Nov 10 10:33:37 PST 2003

Sharon Gordon <gordonse at one.net> [2003.11.10] wrote:
> I was wondering what people's favorite recipes were for doing old Norse
> style recipes while cooking at camping events?

Unfortunately the archaeological and litterary finds are rather silent
on what they actually ate[1], so it is hard/impossible to cook actual
viking age food. You can do like me and cook the food we do have
recipies for[2], or try to invent (or adapt later recipies).

That said:

porridges (mixed grains)
pan bread (yeast based)
various "stews" with meat, etc

I would try looking at the earlies western european corpus and pick the
dishes they had the ingredients and tools for (Þoras list is good).

UlfR

[1] In detail, we have rather extensive and trustworthy lists of
ingredients. But that allows us to make hamburgers (without the tomato
slice and ketchup), and is thus of only partial assistance.

[2] But being a 10th century farmer, cook English and French 14th and
15th century food and dance 15th and 16th century Italian dances can
make one feel rather disjointed at times. I just need to get into
troubadour music to complete the set and bridge the gap...

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Software is getting slower faster than the hardware is getting faster