[Sca-cooks] Damascus kitchen knives

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 12 07:02:56 PST 2003

I bought two of the Japanese Global knives this past summer.
A peeling curved knife and a paring knife.
http://www.cutlery.com/t3/t11t22t34.shtml
They are sharp and lightweight, but I can't say that I have used them
enough yet to really have an opinion of their value versus another brand.
I also admit that I keep them put away so they are not the knives in the
drawer that are readily at hand. That also keeps them safe from the
projects that the other knives get used for... leather, wood, cutting
styrofoam, hard plastic, opening things... whatever the husband and son
are into-- it's likely to involved one of my knives at some point.

Kyocera of Japan makes what is advertised as an
"Industrial Ceramic Blade"  with "an Ultra-Long lasting Edge."
One of these days with the right sale, I'm looking to buy one of those
to try and compare.

You might try a Shun paring knife and see how it does.

Johnnae