[Sca-cooks] Novice Saffron User

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Sat Nov 15 09:05:34 PST 2003

Hey all from Anne-Marie

On maximizing Saffrons effect:

When I make my darioles, or any dish that I want to have flavor and am
not so focused on keeping the threads distinct, I'll take my pinch and
put it in a cup with a bit of hot water or broth or wine (whatever the
recipe is using) and sit down for 15-20 minutes, watch some TV and moosh
them with a spoon. The threads will get lighter colored and the liquid
becomes a glorious shade of red-orange.

For a stew or other dish that is going to simmer or boil for a good long
while, I don't worry about it so much as the threads will release their
saffronny goodness all on their own without my help.

On the reverse side, of course, if you're interested in keeping distinct
threads with their flavor isolated (can be a cool effect), just toss
them in with a minimum of stirring.

I've also found the freshness of the saffron to be a major variable. If
the stuff is the old shriveled stuff you get from the back shelf of most
grocery stores (ie low turnover), you need a lot more vs the stuff I get
from Tony at WorldSpice or the Spanish Table here in Seattle which is
positively damp still its so fresh...I find I often only need five or
six threads of juicy stuff vs a much larger quantity of the older stuff.
I never use the pre-powdered stuff...its oomph seems pretty much gone by
the time it gets to the store.

Hope this is useful,
--AM