[Sca-cooks] Fideos, was Novice Saffron User

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 16 11:48:05 PST 2003

When I did my research for the egg-dyeing project, I realized that saffron
was mentioned extensively as a fabric dye in Europe, however, that may
simply be the result of the color being called saffron (the Irish shirts
that are saffron-colored are an example).

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

I don't remember where I read this, but when we were still doing living
history demos for our local Renn Faire (ungrateful ba**rds), I did a weekend
where I dyed fleece over an open fire.  I used tumeric and told the faire
attendees many times that I was using tumeric and saying so, not trying to
pass it off as saffron-dyed cloth which would be more expensive, and the
falsehood likely to land me in jail!  Evidently, it was a finable/jailable
offence to pass off a tumeric dye as a saffron dyed product.  Wish I could
remember where I got that info, but it has been since the mid-80s since we
participated.
Christianna