Lamb with QuincesRe: [Sca-cooks] Menu help! Pretty please.

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 16:09:18 PST 2003

Okay. First of all, lamb does have a different smell when cooking.

But, it really sounds as if it was cooked too long. Lamb should be cooked
until just past reddish.

Then, it seems a bit too much coriander(use the seed, not the ground). This
spice itself is an odd smeller. Too much added to the lamb would make it smell
greasy. (Did it?)

I think that the substituting lemon juice for verjuice is okay, but adding in
too much vinegar made it way too acidic.

What I suggest. Cook the quinces(where they ripe?), add the verjuice (most )
and vinegar(very little) and simmer as if making a paste. The vinegar will
reduce and actually become sweet.

In another pot, cook the lamb until fork tender. When this is done, add the
quince stuff and simmer. I would think no longer than 15 minutes. Just enough
to infuse the quince, but not done to death.

Remember always, the longer you cook lamb the more fatty it will taste.

Andrea
(eating leg of lamb tonight (Tarragon and Garlic , with roasted onions and
spinach-Atkins)

Our minds are like our stomachs; they are whetted by the change of their
food, and variety supplies both with fresh appetites.
Marcus Fabius Quintilian (35 - 90) Roman orator