[Sca-cooks] Brunch buffet request

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 11:18:29 PST 2003

There is nothing non-period about pancakes or waffles!  Serve with
honey, butter, jam of period fruits instead of maple syrup, that's all.

French Toast is period too!
 <http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/paynpurdue.html>

My lord husband did a dish for last Caid 12th Night that would be good
and breakfasty, he's got the documentation but basically, it was
scrambled eggs with apples.  The apples were fried in butter with brown
sugar tossed in, then served over the eggs.  It's 15th Century French,
but would go over well with modern tastes for breakfast!

My general guidelines for "anything" quiche:

unbaked pie shell
2 cups milk or cream
3 eggs

Put whatever else you want into the pie shell - put the herbs on the
bottom to be held under the liquid surface and flavor the custard
instead of burning on top;  line the bottom with pre-fried onions or
bacon or ham;   shredded cheese, handfull of greens [put in lots, leafy
veggies diminish greatly in size when cooked],  Aeduin makes a "Manly
Quiche" with lots of bite-sized chunks of cooked steak.  Pour egg-milk
over, bake at 350 for one hour.  Test with a knife or skewer for
done-ness.  I cannot recommend a convection oven for this;  we ruined a
bunch of pies one event last year because the convection oven was MUCH
too efficient at browning the outside before the inside was close to
being cooked.

Cryspes [the missing link between pancakes and funnel cakes, mother the
churro!]
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/desserts.html#37

Bon Appetit!
Selene Colfox