[Sca-cooks] Current research on the effects of Cinnamon

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Nov 21 23:35:39 PST 2003

  Lourene replied to my message with:
> I would be interested in this also as I have been a diabetic since a
> young
> adult and I am sure each of us on this list knows at least one person
> that is a diabetic.
Apparently this information is not particularly new, although the
latest study is. This apparently started surfacing in 2000. I found
quite a lot of material, although a lot of it quoted the same sources,
simply using the search terms "diabetic" and "cinnamon".
> > However, the article is not clear enough about whether this is 'true'
> > cinnamon or cassia.
I never saw this specified. Perhaps it is either. Or the researchers
are unaware of there being two types of cinnamon. The key ingredient is
apparently is MHCP (methylhydroxy chalcone polymer). Perhaps it is
present in both types.
>  It also doesn't specify whether the cinnamon was
> > in powder form in the capsules or a cinnamon oil.
They do comment that this is a water soluble compound and thus cinnamon
oil does not contain it. They suggest simply stirring into food or over
on into a beverage 1/4 to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. There are some
indications that it might even prevent diabetes from occurring.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com