snarky remarks about eating habits Re: [Sca-cooks] Sweet potatoes

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Nov 27 19:37:00 PST 2003

>Misled by statistics.  Yes, the 'life expectancy' was low.  But that's
>the _average_ life expectancy.  Weighted down by all those childhood
>deaths.  People who survived to age 20 had a moderately good chance of
>living to a respectable old age (whatever that is).

Thank you thank you thank you!  I've been telling people this for
years!  I did a study in an Ecology class about this.  From an Ecology
class perspective, it was practice in sampling and statistics.  We went
to cemetaries in the DE/MD/PA area that had gravestones dating back to
the early 1700s.  We took data on birth and death dates and gender
whenever it was apparent.  (A few names were indecipherable.)  What we
found was that, throughout the time period from about 1700-1950ish, if
you made it to the age of five you had a pretty darned good chance of
making it to 20.  If you made it to 20, your chances of living a long
life weren't much less than they are today.  The thing that skewed the
"average" age of death downward was the childhood mortality rate.  There
were also small spikes in male death during times of war.  Thus, while
the "life expectancy" was somewhere around 40 (I can't remember
exactly,) if you were 39 you really didn't stand a high chance of
dropping dead the next year - and if you were 41, you hadn't beaten any
odds.  There also wasn't a high rate of female death vs. male death
during "childbearing" ages, despite the reputation of childbirth being
such a risky process.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei