[Sca-cooks] sausage and mushroom stuffing

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Nov 29 06:55:21 PST 2003

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Andrea commented:
>>And the stuffing?? MY favorite part of the meal! She made a sausage
>>and mushroom stuffing that was so good, even the non Atkins people
>>were passing up the bread stuffing to get the Atkins stuffing...
>But doesn't stuffing/dressing need a carb or two? Recipe please.

Almost anything that stretches a bird into more servings can be
thought of as a legitimate stuffing. French stuffings are frequently
made of mixtures that could just as easily be baked as a meat loaf in
the US (although the meat tends to be pork and/or veal rather than
beef). Yeah, they usually have at least some small percentage of a
starchy ingredient, but this can be kept to a relative minimum, and
there are a number of creative substitutions that can be made if one
wanted to limit the carbohydrate content to some specific level.

If you want to look at the
starchy-ingredient-as-necessary-for-stuffing question in a reasonable
way, consider that nowadays, starchy foods tend to be cheaper than
meat (including poultry), and are therefore good ways to stretch the
number of servings you can get from, say, a chicken.

In the days before hormone-laced chicken feed and full-grown birds
being slaughtered at two months (or whatever it is) of age, way back
in the days when both Renaissance French kings and, later, American
presidential candidates, promised a chicken in every pot, poultry in
general was something of a luxury food for many people, and
stretching the number of servings by stuffing the bird with something
yummy and filling made great sense. The only thing is, then, pork and
veal were generally both cheaper than chicken, and families that
could afford all three still considered such a stuffing a good idea.

I don't know what was in the stuffing referred to above, but it might
also be worth considering that people on that diet aren't necessarily
on induction, and while they try to limit their carbohydrate intake,
it doesn't mean there couldn't be any of several carby foods in it.
Especially high-fiber carby foods.

Adamantius