[Sca-cooks] Road trips

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Nov 29 10:13:31 PST 2003

Was written:

> Ranvaig commented:
> > We stopped with only one of the five lugnuts intact, the other four,
> > the stud had broken.  Any other day it would have been easy to fix,
> > but nothing was open, so we ended up being towed back to Columbus.
> I'm glad you are okay and that nothing worse happened.
>
> I think others can sympathize with you. Sir Master Conor tells the
> story of coming back from Pennsic and suddenly finding three of his lug
> nuts missing. On a Volvo station wagon. In East Texas. On Sunday. These
> are apparently unusual, probably  metric.

I remember what was a potentially worse one when my Engineer unit shared a
motor pool with a Cav unit.  One day I found out that someone, most probably
some scruffy tanker, had stolen most of the lug nuts off the road wheels of
one of our AVLBs (armored vehicle launched bridge).  For the uninitiated,
back in the 70's, these were M-60 tank chasses with a folding bridge on top.
Road wheel comes flying off so might the track. Of course when I was in high
school back in the 60's I saw the result of when a duce and a half (big
military truck) lost a wheel at speed.  The wheel went sailing across the
road and hit a chainlink fence at our school.  It bent the fence over and
kept on rolling.  Nice physics demonstration regards the conservation of
angular mommentum.

Daniel