[Sca-cooks] Beverages

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Thu Oct 2 10:31:05 PDT 2003

Ranvaig commented:

I've been told that vinegar and water was drunk as a beverage in
period, but not seen documentation.  Specifically I've heard that it
was drunk by harvesters, because it refreshed better than plain
water.. kind of like lemonade, but with vinegar instead of lemons.
I've tried this with wine and cider vinegar.. both sweetened with
honey, and unsweetened.  Its a nice drink for hot weather,
refreshing.... but again probably not served at feast.
<<<<<<

I believe you are speaking of switchel. I don't have a specific file on this, but if you do a search using the search engine at the top of the Florilegium, you will find comments about switchel in the beverages-msg, beverages-NA-msg, jalabs-msg files and maybe others.

Stefan