[Sca-cooks] OOP: Ice cream question

Tara Boroson tboroson at netcarrier.com
Thu Oct 16 08:51:59 PDT 2003

I have been trying to make low-carb ice cream to indulge my addiction.
I borrowed my mother's countertop electric ice cream maker - the kind
where you freeze the bowl, pour in the custard and the machine just
churns it.  Now, I made ice cream using a traditional hand churned
bucket many times as a child and teenager - and even at Pennsic
occasionally.  I remember that when it comes out of the bucket, it's
very thick and goopy and doesn't firm up until you put it in the
freezer.  But, what I've been getting out of this electric toy is not as
thick as I remember it ought to be, and it's freezing up much too hard
for scooping.  I have to microwave it for 30 seconds before I can scoop
it, and my freezer usually keeps ice cream at a great scooping
hardness.  For all that, it tastes fantastic and I want to keep trying.

So, I'm trying to troubleshoot it.  Has anybody tried this, or used one
of these machines?  Could it be because I'm using Splenda?  I tried
adding the Splenda once before cooking the custard, and once after.  The
results were the same.  Could the maltodextrin filler in the Splenda
affect it?  Or, maybe I'm not cooking the custard until it's thick
enough?  When the recipe says to cook it until it thickens slightly and
coats a spoon, do they mean coats like thick cream, or like yogurt, or
somewhere in between?  I've been shooting for somewhere in between, a
little thicker than cream.  Or do these machines just not do that good
of a job?

Also, has anybody here used Stevia?  I use it for my tea and I like it,
but I'm told that it becomes bitter if you cook or bake with it.  I'd
prefer to use it for the ice cream - it kind of bugs me to use high
quality organic ingredients (including fresh raw milk!) then turn around
and put Splenda in it.  I figured I'd experiment with it for the next
round, but if anybody else has done it already, why reinvent the wheel?  :)

Thank you!
-Magdalena vander Brugghe
Ice cream addict cum low carb dieter

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei