[Sca-cooks] Was: Odd question.../ NOW-Pots

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Fri Oct 17 07:40:52 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/17/03 10:21:56 AM, karobert at unm.edu writes:

> that sounds interesting.
> cailte

It is!!

My new rant is..... No matter how much we recreate the recipe, if we use a
modern type pot, are we recreating accurately??

I did an experiment with this at an A&S expo, and I found that the pot DOES
matter. Different tastes happen when you cook the same exact food in different
pots. ( I used cast Iron-olive oil seasoned, stainless (generic bulk
kitchenware), and a tinned copper pot -bought from Goosebay Workshops)

I found that each recipe had a very different taste even though I used the
same exact ingredients and the same exact cooking method (over an oak wood coal
fire in my fireplace).

I offered the samples to the populace and they made the decision. The most
historically accurate pot won!! I blind tested and then told them what sample
was from where.
The copper pot was judged the best tasting, the cast iron was next, and the
stainless the least.

Do we not use the steel pot the most at our feasts??

I have the write-up somewhere if anyone wants it. I plan to expand on this
further when I get some free time.

Andrea MacIntyre

Our minds are like our stomachs; they are whetted by the change of their
food, and variety supplies both with fresh appetites.
Marcus Fabius Quintilian (35 - 90) Roman orator