[Sca-cooks] Got OED?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 24 21:25:57 PDT 2003

I'm chugging along in the translation.  I'm in Chapter Two, and Nuñez is
earnestly explaining that high-fiber bread is very bad for one's health.  This
is because bran is more abstertive or mundificant than white flour.

It's not often I look up a word in my Spanish dictionary, only to discover that
the English is equally incomprehensible.  It's extremely rare to find two in the
same sentence.  I have learned that "mundificant" means "cleansing".  I
cannot
find a definition of "abstertive", although I gather from the context that it
has a similar meaning.  Anyone with OED access willing to look this up for
me?

TIA

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net