[Sca-cooks] Question regarding canisiones...

Erika Thomenius ldygytha at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 08:29:29 PST 2003

Through a long and complicated set of circumstances, I find myself looking
for a recipe that looks vaguely log-like for the dessert course of an
illusion feast.  The feast itself (our Barony's Midwinter) is mid-16th
century French, and I hit upon Duke Cariadoc's redaction of "the pastry that
they call canisiones" from Platina as being reasonably appropriate.
However, the desserts are already going to feature quite a bit of marzipan,
so I was wondering:  Would it be appropriate to use anything else besides
rosewater and almonds as the flavoring?  Is anyone aware of a similar
recipe, maybe in Martino or Epulario, with a different filling?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Gytha

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American people."

-Teddy Roosevelt