[Sca-cooks] plea for help-- Soup for the Qan

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Oct 1 21:03:56 PDT 2003

At 08:05 PM 10/1/2003,lilinah at earthlink.net said something like:

>The sheep's tail is not for meat, marrow, or bone. The sheep's tail is
>strictly for the fat. This is the tail of the fat-tailed sheep, a special
>breed of sheep known for their very large and fatty tails. Once the tail
>is skinned, the tail is chopped and the fat melted (maybe rendered, too).
>Tail fat is often used as fat to fry things in or as fat mixed into a dish.
>
>There are "period" drawings, the authenticity of which i am not certain,
>showing fat tailed sheep with their huge long tails bound to a set of
>wheels so it doesn't drag on the ground or hinder the sheep.
>
>Anahita
>Who hasn't found fat tail sheep tail, but maybe if i ask my local halal
>market they'll at least remember it from "the old country".

So, what does Anahita use for sheep tail fat ????

By the way, thank you SO MUCH for the input on this recipe, it has been
valuable beyond words.

I visited my local Seafood City tonight. No carp (but there were some
horridly icky looking catfish, I passed).

No asafoetida, and the clerks had no idea of what i was talking about.

No dried orange peel, of whatever nationality.

The clerks would look at me blankly, and tell me this was a filipino
market. *sigh*

I'll be hitting the north half of San Diego county, because i _KNOW_ there
are markets there that target the Hong Kong emigrees, and the Taiwan
emigrees.  Somewhere, someone has to have this stuff.

Regards,
Maggie