[Sca-cooks] Looking for a bread recipe.

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 10:15:55 PDT 2003

Craig Henson wrote:
> I am looking for a bread recipe. I am told that people would bake a
> special loaf that was ornate to celebrate the harvest. Any help would
> be appreciated.

I suspect you may be referring to Lammas ("loaf-mass"), when it was
customary to bake bread from the first grain harvest of the season and leave
them on church altars as an offering.  I am not aware of any specific recipe
or type of bread that was used for Lammas -- it was almost certainly a basic
period whole-grain bread baked from whatever was growing locally.

I think I have seen specific harvest breads from Ireland and possibly
Germany, though.

-Lorenz