[Sca-cooks] OOP gingerbread question

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Oct 8 06:14:34 PDT 2003

Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery is composed of two Tudor-Jacobean
manuscripts. The commentaries to the recipes are what you want to read.
The entry

Gingerbread, gingibrate, 200-2; S186, 342-45; colored, S187, S188,
345-47; Royall, S190, 348; white, S189, 347-48.

illustrates the material presented. S186-189 are recipes. The recipes
and commentaries cover pp. 342-348. Plus additional materials on pp. 200-2.

You could always loan it in and then buy it later. But it's worth buying
for a number of reasons.

As to other editions--
Probably May's The Accomplisht Cook (first published in 1660) would be a
good choice. Prospect Books now has their facsimile out in paperback.
It's the 1685 edition. I also really love the new Rabisha edition that
Prospect has out. The Whole Body of Cookery, Dissected was first
published in 1661. Prospect is using the 1682 text. Both editions are
readable [no problems with fading text or poor microfilm quality] and
the recipes are relatively easy to follow. (Both volumes were written by
professional cooks.)

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis