[Sca-cooks] Re: ricotta as "fresh cheese"?

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 10:08:17 PDT 2003

This discussion is getting interesting!

Actually, anytime you add a culture to a cheese it
starts the fermentation process, as the enzymes begin
to transform the liquid milk into a solid mass.  That
would include cottage cheese, quark, and neufchatel.
If you consider that fresh cheese is only curds that
have been separated from the whey without any form of
fermentation, that pretty much limits it to straight
curds precipitated out of the whey using a form of
acid.

Eibhlin
West Kingdom Cheesemaker's Guild

--- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>