[Sca-cooks] New raisins in de Nola

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 04:49:47 PDT 2003

My husband spent a fair amount of time around rasins...but in general
the raisins that hit your house are about one year old, and the cheap
off brand raisins can be two or even three years old...if you open the
box of raisins and see they are very shriveled and hard, and the sugers
therein are starting to crystalize on the outside fo the little thing
then they are a touch over 3 years old and starting to convert to
sugar...in some areas, Sunmaid/SunGiant starts to put the raisins out
after about 3 months, those are the nice moist ones. Of course if you go
and buy from the grower's co-op, you get then right after productions.
You will also find raisins there you won't find anywhere else, like
orange muscat grapes, black muscats...=)In general, most all raisins now
are made of thompson's seedless as they are the predominant grape grown
in the central valley that isn't intended for winery use.
Muscats never tend to make it to market because the co-op will usually
only run 1 batch of each type through the deseeder [1 batch being 2000
pounds.] Now if a person is willing to buy 1 day's production from the
de-seeder, they will happily run you a special batch of 2000 lbs of a
raisin of your choice.

Other spiffy product available in the farmer's market is grape honey=)
thick, purplish, musky in taste and there is the slightest skin of
bitter floating on top...some sort of natural oil found in teh nectar.
very tannic=) with sherry yeast makes the most incredible mead you would
want to try=)

But back to the grapes at hand...fresh, moist grapes would be easier to
handle in this recipe, and in general one would think in period that
raisins wouldnt hang around long enough to get to be more than 7 or 8
months old, being used over the winer they are set by for.
margali