[Sca-cooks] Abysmally wrong EDiets article on medieval diet

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 15:10:29 PDT 2003

I just found this egregiously awful article, and I
  don't have the patience or temper right now to write a
  polite and informed reply.

  http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?code=24565&article_id=8431

  Would someone else like to correct this information?

  Katja
Well, I can tell you what part of his problem is.

I don't know about other Renaissance Faires, but I worked at the one here in
Pennsylvania (in fact, I live less than 30 minutes from this doofus).  This
particular Faire has very little interest in historical accuracy as presented at
the Faire (I can't speak for the Star Chamber, which is what they call their
school presentations on Elizabethan history.  I sure hope it's better than the
Faire, but it's the same people doing it...)  This is the Faire where, when
choosing to have a group of Landesknechts and their campfollowers running
around, refused to accept the documented fashions of the campfollowers, because the
skirts were shorter than what the court ladies were wearing and "it might
confuse the public".  They suggested that the lady designing the costumes add
ruffles to the bottom of the skirt to lengthen them.  The lady in question was a
member of my shire at the time.
I can well believe that someone at the Faire, either a Faire goer or one of
the ubiquitous staff, told him all that claptrap.
The scary thing is that every school district anywhere nearby sends their
middleschoolers and highschoolers to the Faire as an educational field trip.  The
Faire is open weekdays during the fall for this.  Those who work there refer
to these days as "Nipperkin Wars" and try valiantly to stop the students
stealing everything they can get their hands on (especially the throwing stars at
the gaming booths - there's a medieval European weapon for you), or stealing
away into the surrounding bushes for a bit of period exercise, if you know what
I mean.  Not to mention the gratuitous insults that all the boys felt
appropriate as humor.  I was glad that I had a mundane job that prevented me from ever
having to work Nipperkin Wars.

Brangwayna Morgan