[Sca-cooks] OOP: Ice cream question

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Thu Oct 16 19:34:20 PDT 2003

>>If you'd like this
>>recipe, tho imperfect, just yell :)
>>

>Actually, I'd like it :-). Always looking for a good low carb ice cream.

All righty!

2 c. heavy cream
2 c. whole milk (you can reduce the carbs slightly by using half and
half instead of milk - by about 0.6 grams per half cup)
2 inch piece of vanilla bean
1/2 c. Splenda
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp. vanilla extract

Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and place it with the cream
and milk in a saucepan.  Heat over medium heat until it barely starts to
boil.  Take off heat to cool slightly.  Beat eggs, vanilla extract and
Splenda.  Add 1/4 c. of the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture slowly
while stirring.  Place the cream mixture back over low heat and pour the
egg mixture into it in a thin stream while stirring to keep the eggs
from curdling.  Cook several minutes while custard thickens slightly,
until it coats the back of a spoon.  Take off the heat and cool
completely before putting in the ice cream maker.  I usually refrigerate
it overnight. When you're ready to put it in the ice cream maker, pull
out the vanilla bean halves and scrape the seeds into the custard.
Follow the directions on your ice cream maker to freeze it.

This makes about 5 cups, with approx. 4.9 grams of carbs per half cup
(4.3 if you use half-and-half)

Again, it'll freeze too hard and you'll have to nuke it or let it soften
every time you want to use it.  I think in the future I'll portion it
before freezing it so I don't have to keep renuking the entire
quantity.  It'll keep me honest about eating half-cups, too...

Amusing note, I use really fresh free-range eggs with vibrantly yellow
yolks, as opposed to paler conventional egg yolks.  Between that and the
brown vanilla extract, my vanilla ice cream is bright yellow.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei